Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tasty Little Treats

So...I now have one of THOSE children. A little background first...

I have worked with children for almost 10 years, in some capacity or another. The first 5-7 years it was completely hands-on, then I moved into a more administrative/programming role. However, I feel I'm pretty well-versed in the developmental stages of children.

Since September 2007, my child has repeatedly been bitten by another child at daycare. I *know* this is normal, however, this child seemed to have it out for my darling little angel. Over the span of three months, he bit her four times (that was noticed), and two of those times it broke the skin. Now...I consider myself a fairly reasonable and intelligent person. I was willing to let this slide, and chalk it up to bad luck that he was biting my precious angel only. Well, after the fourth time, I lost it - mostly because I found out his parents thought it was FUNNY that he was biting. That's correct...you heard me. They thought it was funny he was hurting smaller children (trust me, I was tempted to bite them myself). At that point, I filed a formal complaint, and this other child was moved to another room. Fine, problem solved.

Until three weeks ago...

What happened then you ask? My darling, sweet, beautiful little angel BIT another child. Imagine my mortification and embarrasment! Since then, she has bitten almost everyday, only once with some fierceness and vigor (of which I am even more ashamed), but bitten repeatedly nonetheless.

While I know this is normal, she doesn't try to taste mommy or daddy at home - only other kids at daycare. Rest assured, THIS mommy does NOT think it's funny that her child is biting. In fact, THIS mommy is PISSED because there is nothing she can do about it, especially because she doesn't do this at home. After phone calls to the pediatrician and meetings with the daycare, I'm hopeful that my child will not grow up to be a Dahmer-wannabee. But until then...if you see my baby coming, cover up those fingers and toes - she thinks they're tasty!

1 comment:

Jess NBP said...

at least u've done all u could. hope she stops.